A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Monday, April 11, 2011

Snap and Soak

Our study abroad program's trip to Bariloche was a whirlwind of surreal views printed for postcards, following a reporter like hatched ducklings, three-course fondue dips, and group 'glue-ing'. This 72-hour guided adventure hosted the most activities I've done in the smallest amount of time here. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't overwhelmed about writing about it, especially since so much of the trip was visual. Hence the photocollage I put together in order to convey in the best way I could how my trip to Bariloche went.

Every sight was photo-worthy. It was a mixture of events that swirl around in my memory as sparkling aquamarine waters, warm mahogany wood, and living greenery. The air was pure and the town was serene in wake of the vacation season. The tap water tasted like Brita and the food was rich in flavor and diversity (well, I guess any region seems diverse as long as it offers something other than empanadas and medialunas). 

I sweated out stress sitting in the hotel's hot tubs, and then soaked in the brisk purity during our outside excursions. Bright scenery and coffee were my trusty companions, along with the sweet breakfasts from the included buffet, as I fought sleep-deprivation by the hour. A 15-passenger van was our vehicle to sites, interviews, visits and cat naps. Carolina and Hans, a well-known reporter in Bariloche, teamed up to schedule this itinerary unlike any I'd had before. 

Overall, Bariloche was gorgeous and unusually refreshing considering our hurried schedule and lack of nature hikes. I'm sure it's rampant with visitors during high tourist tide (aka the months of summer and winter), but with obvious reason. 

I guess sometimes you have to be a tourist to observe beauty, however I think it takes more energy to then appreciate it as a result. It'd be a crime to hit a location and run. Let's call it 'snap (as in photos) and step (away).' No, this wise idea is not to be confused with the legendary 'bend and snap' as patented by Elle Woods. Rather, I advise one should visit a place in order to learn something new or experience culture instead of simply staying cooped up in a hotel and taking photos at the overly trodden sites. 'Snap and step' or 'snap and soak'. The choice is yours.             

No comments:

Post a Comment