A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Monday, April 4, 2011

Take Five in Buenos Aires

Say hello to my family, the Smylie family. We have...
Poppa Smylie: the lovable, nutty graduate professor who masters a balance of wit and goofiness.

Mumsie Smylie: the sugar-momma who intimidates in the courtroom, but sheds her 'shark fins' for great conversation and caring outside of it.

Sister Lauren: the brunette, eldest daughter who shepherds fifth-graders by day and stirs up a laugh from anyone.

Sister Rachel: the blonde, youngest daughter who spits strong opinions, while remaining completely irresistible in all aspects (as evident by her acceptance to USC! Congratulations!).

Yours truly: the redheaded, midzie daughter who starves for creative endeavors although has slightly hypochondriac tendencies, but only because she cares (maybe too much).

They all reunited to visit me because they missed me as much as... Danny missed Sandy and those summer nights, cats miss alleys to jazz with one another, naked beds miss their sheets on laundry days... Okay, I'm exaggerating. I'm sure they missed me quite a bit, but I also provided a great destination for family vacation! Which consisted of:
-an Estancia weekend stay
-pool lounging and book reading
-my 21st celebration (wine tasting, shopping, tasty dinner and a drag queen club)
-an ultra-ritzy tango show ('Tango Rojo')
-loads of pounce and bananagrams
Here's what my family had to say about it...

A Chat with the Smylie Gang: (performed pool-side, chomping on empanadas)

Q: In your vacationing experience, where does BA rank?
L: At the top for many reasons. The hotel experience was re-donk-ulous, so many things to do. We were always discovering new areas.
R: Ditto. We've done the most different things, not just sit on our booty.

Q: How was the transition from country to city? Overwhelming?
M: The estancia was relaxing. We could decompress form traveling for 12 hours.
R: I liked riding horses.
D: Easy. The experiences were different in various ways but both places felt very cared for.
R: And I'm officially and experienced horseback rider.

Q: Do you guys feel more like city slickers or country peeps at heart?
L: Duh, city. At least if full time, then city slickers.
M: In general, yes, but we enjoy the country for getaways.

Mounted and ready to herd some cattle!
Q: Who best mastered the life of a gaucho? 
[Lauren and Rachel both raise hands simultaneously]
L: I guess Rachel wins.
M: But I did the best at smacking booty (referring to the time when we helped corral cattle through a narrow stall in order to get vaccinated)
R: I win, I win, I win!

Q: What moment did you feel most cuddly as a family?
L: Your birthday dinner when we were playing with food.
R: I felt cuddly on the cab ride home with you (referring to the conclusion of my 21st birthday...)
M: I thought it was cool when Rachel heard about USC and we were all jumping around laughing and crying.
D: When that guy missed Lauren's head at the tango (referring to when a male dancer almost karate kicked Lauren's head while jumping off the stage. more like an AH! not an AW! moment.)

Q: What are you a) physically and b) figuratively going to brink back with you? Think souvenirs and memories.
R: My doll, and that I'll have to one-up you now with a studying abroad destination. I think we're going to Venezuela! (to be continued- Hugo Chavez interviews the Smylies on Álo Presidente!)
Getting cuddly with some mate.
L: Ugh, Argentinean dudes- don't look at 'em, don't go out. Tell them that you have a boyfriend and he's on his way. Oh and a confirmation that we have to go on family trips like this every year.
D: Bringing back photographs and a hefty bill.
M: An affirmation of how wonderful our family is.

Q: Did you have any myths about BA confirmed or busted here?
R: I thought it was going to be Brazil.
M: The myths about men are true, although they are pretty.
L: And aggressive, non discreet
D: I don't know if it's a myth or not, but one thing I realized is that it's a pretty new city, relatively. Also busted that dad couldn't stay awake past 9:30 at night.
M: More than two nights in a row! (Quite the feat, let me tell you)

Q: Any final words?
L: We don't want to go, we're sad..
D: It was wonderful being able to come and see you here.

And it was splendid having you guys here too!

No comments:

Post a Comment