A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Monday, January 17, 2011

Role Play (¡Mi Llegada!)

Here's the moment you all have been waiting for... I've arrived in Argentina! And I'm left speechless. Literally, speechless. I can't speak Spanish to save my life right now (as evident by my failed attempt to converse with a woman who rung up my food at the grocery store to feed my aching stomach). I feel like useless comatose in a sea of beautiful Argentineans. At least I'm a spectacle for some to gawk at whenever I leave my apartment. I haven't seen ONE redhead since I've landed (neglecting a baby in a restaurant where I ate dinner tonight). Definitely not a pale redhead with freckles and an American accent.

What can I say? Well, I guess I give into stage fright every once in a while. Argentina is my stage and I can't remember a single line from the scripts (textbooks) I learned in my prior spanish classes. How pathetic, right? I freeze up whenever someone asks me a question or makes a comment, and my mind goes blank like an empty piece of paper. Then I'll begin an overly complicated response and stop halfway through when I realize I'm digging a linguistic hole for myself. Finally, I start over and reply with something a second grader may mutter (and that's giving myself a lot of credit).

Now I'm sure you're dying to know, what's your plan now Anna? After a bit of stressing, a few tears and some motivation from my friends, I decided the show must go on. So I settled on a fine actor who shall be my inspiration as I embark on my spanish journey. He's optimistic and friendly, slightly (okay, maybe a bit more that slightly) naive, and soaks up his surroundings. He's... Spongebob Squarepants!
Spongebob Squarepants
(I hope I made you proud R. Smylie)

What a spitting image, no? Glasses, freckles and all! I have a weak spot for tube socks too, but don't you dare call me square.
Marc Jacobs Spring 2011
 http://www.style.com

Fortunately, Marc Jacobs has come up with the perfect costume for me to wear if I ever felt compelled to emulate my role model...

Wish me luck as I stutter and stammer my way through Argentina. At least I'll do so in a shining (yellow) manner.

¡Chao!

4 comments:

  1. I second CJ! Also, a little smiling goes a long way in foreign countries. Also, figure out how to say "excuse me." People love it when you say "excuse me," even if you can't say anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splitting image?? Oh no Anna... spitting image!! Oh- I miss you even more now. And hang in there babe, if any one is equipped for this it is you! Laugh at yourself when you get stuck and things will get easier every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips and support guys!
    (no longer is it splitting image either, hehehe)

    ReplyDelete