A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fĂștbol, and Argentine advertising


Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Pa(ni)ck Attack

I've always prided myself on packing. I may or may not have called myself the "packing queen" once or twice. I try to defy the girl stereotype of excessive packing, yet allow myself options for outfit creativity. However this trip has caught me off my guard. I won't be in Argentina for a long weekend or a couple of weeks. I'll be there for FOUR MONTHS. Four months of traveling around its diverse climates (tropical rain-forests down to the bitter glaciers). Four months of going out to discos and learning the tango. Four months of working at an advertising agency. 
Talk about a packing challenge.

Mission: fit four months in three bags. 
Now I'm not a math major, but that doesn't seem to add up.
[Curse you, United Airlines!]
Fortunate enough, there will be plenty of tiendas (stores) in Argentina for me to supplement my wardrobe and cosmetics.
[I bet you're sighing right along with me, especially you Mumsie and Popsicle]

Strategy: Selectivity and Premeditation. 
Selectivity- n. se.lec.tiv.i.ty
1. "the state or quality of being selective."
2. "take the fashion forward clothing and leave the unworthy at home."
Premeditation- n. pre.med.i.ta.tion
1. "the act of speculating, arranging, or plotting in advance."
2. "pack knowing roughly who you'll meet, where you'll be visiting, and what you'll be doing."

Prep: research Argentine fashion, make a check list and do the damn laundry.
What's a mission without a list? Now, will I try cheating the list by stuffing this cute top and that tight pair leggings that I accidentally forgot to include on my list in any square inch available? Um... yes. Here's to buying another duffle while I'm down there to haul back my Latin wardrobe additions!

As far as research, I'm sensing a trend in bright colors, flowy shapes, and tribal patterns.
mix and clash--
http://sociallysuperlative.com
concrete jungle--
http://new.xinhuanet.com
ziggy stripedust--
http://newshopper.sulekha.com 
Execution: TBA. 
Stay tuned my beloved followers!

No comments:

Post a Comment