A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Beginning of the End: Chau to our Mizzou Program

I realize the order of this series does not exactly line up with the priorities I listed in my 'Final' post. My finals are a little backwards now that Kylie, Max and I decided to extend our sur-reality another week in Mendoza. We paid an initial goodbye to our apartments and a more lengthy one to the rest of the program. 

[Context: Kylie and I will do the rest when we return to BA for two more days before our departure back to the U.S. Max will be flying home via Chile.]


Bianca and I got hooked up with an Ivory white apartment overlooking a park on Avenida del Libertador- a major street in BA (meaning at least twelve lanes wide) fortunately stocked with a plethora of bus stops.

The apartment provided a more than great refuge after late nights (synonymous with early mornings), long days of internship work and classes, and unpredictable weather. The doormen were plenty friendly too and helped me practice my Spanish small-talk. I learned polite phrases and tried my hardest to be clever with a limited vocabulary... usually by adding a little bit of sign language in the mix.

But a place is a place, and I wouldn't exactly call my apartment home. It was my study abroad home, sure. But I didn't actually have a family structure that tied me specifically there.

Instead, the program provided my sisters and brother (in addition to my extended family of 'Sapukeños,' of course). We began the program as ducklings, following Carolina around like blind youngin's. Then eventually we grew into it together.

[Preview: I'll touch more on this process of study abroad development during my final post here. Naturally, I'm saving the best for last. How else would I retain the attention of all my dedicated followers? I kid, I kid.]

The last supper with Carolina.
As I anticipated, I didn't cry. I didn't feel final when I hugged Carolina's small frame goodbye. I didn't feel sentimental as I wished a safe travels to Amy, Alyssa and Bianca. I felt like it was just another long weekend of traveling when I packed up all my possessions and left half at Carolina's office. I'm numbed mentally and physically. The time will come when the floodgates will open, but once again- Kylie, Max and I will be staying in Neverland for seven more days before returning to the reality of large, international airports and a full, final goodbye.

The actual beginning at Parque Rosedal.

No comments:

Post a Comment