A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fĂștbol, and Argentine advertising


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The End: Part II (Last Will and Testament)

[Side note: I wrote most of this post on my last colectivo ride to my Avant-Garde internship. I've been revising and adding to it ever since in order to explain to the most precise degree my experience in Buenos Aires.]

Buenos Aires became real to me. It lasted beyond an escape, a vacation, a visit. I stayed and I lived there.

I immersed myself in my internship, my classes, the language, ultimate, a Latin-European culture. I got lost in translation, I was lonely, I grew independent. I became vulnerable to it all. I shed the shell of temporary times to more permanent perils. I didn't always have excuses or justifications. I didn't live a glamorous life. I didn't live everyday like it was my last because each felt like I was a step toward a seemingly infinite stay. I missed home, I ached, shed tears, spent numerous hours on Skype... I sometimes lived in mediocrity, flew down depression and back up to ecstasy in the matter of a day. I strolled down streets beaming and shook my groove thang on boliche dance floors. I found pure independence blissful at times, I hosted my loved ones, I found a family in Sapukay, Avant-Garde, and my program.

I didn't just thrive and exclude the bad, I experienced it all- the underestimated, emotional pendulum that is studying abroad. I lived a full life in Buenos Aires.


I lived a life in four months (stick with me as I try to explain study abroad via yet another metaphor):
Everything was new, I saw it for the first time. I was young and curious, easily fascinated and intrigued.
I went out often to play, make friends. I learned lessons the hard way, I fended for myself. 
I had a mid-trip crisis full of prolific questions and panic, a sense of helplessness, a loss of direction. 
I became content, aware, and experienced. I balanced work and play, I developed relationships, I gained patience. 
I hammered out my work and retired to one last city escape, Mendoza. 

Then I made this will -of things I refuse to let go, to disappear into the future- to impart on all of you: Those who know me better than I know myself, those who've never met me, my peers, my best friends, my family, those who plan to study in or visit Buenos Aires, those who already live there and are interested in what a gringa thinks. I've laid out my thoughts in this post and blog, the only real possessions I can claim. Take or dismiss what you will without the hassles of an attorney to distribute them accordingly.

I'm signing my name, I've flown back home.

Until next time,

-Anna

1 comment:

  1. I could act all sad and stuff. But I'm so glad we (that is me included) had the opportunity to get to know you that even the sadness of saying good bye seems ridiculous at the moment.

    I keep saying this and it's quite hard to believe, but just ONE person can change things pretty much (specially if we're talking about a small group of 15/20 people). As you disovered us, we discovered alot in you: much of what we were, but much more about what we want to become. Just being yourself showed us a new set of possibilities we never even thought of.

    I may or maynot see you again (I'm not loosing hope), but I cant avoid feeling gratefull about the time you were here. It's definitelly many times better than you not being here, jeje.

    So cheers for that. Lets enjoy while we learn in our present and invest in our future. Who knows, maybe well have the fortune of encountering again.

    Un abrazo Gringa!

    Ian

    PS: I loved that you speak of yourself as a Gringa in Argentina.
    PS: I'm glad you discovered you are Human!

    ReplyDelete