A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Muse, Mendoza

Hola vacaciones!

Maddie and I enjoying some mate.
Kylie, Max and I had already said goodbye to work and the structure of our program before hopping on a bus to the land of wine, the Andes and beauty.... and best of all, my dear friend Maddie! Yep, you may remember her initiation to Argentina via a visit to BA way back when in 'Getting Her to First Base.'  It only seemed appropriate that we exchange visits at the conclusion of my trip to balance things out.

Unfortunately Maddie had homework and classes to attend (or dismiss, shhhh) on some days, and that's exactly where the equipo came in! We three took some adventures that would make those Musketeers proud.

We began with a day trip to Maipu to rent bikes, ride through the 'vineyards,' and taste wines. We embarked on our journey with the help of the Maipu Bikes company who supplied us with mountain bikes complete with baskets, a bottle of water and a (pretty unnecessary) glass of wine at the conclusion of our day.

The romantic and peaceful expectations we had of the ride quickly left us as we biked down the congested streets, scared sober the entire way... well, almost. We could not fathom how so many people who recommended this trip to us could gloss over this major detail. But alas, we sucked it up like Musketeers do and hit up three wineries to taste some of the best Malbecs my taste buds have been exposed to.

Stationed before the Andes, pre-tasting.
We made it home safely aside from one wine bottle's casualty on the curbside. We slept well to wake up to our next adventure: horseback riding in a valley overlooking the Andes.

Maddie, Max and Kylie clomping ahead.
Maddie struck gold by finding Cordón del Plata, a fabulous activities agency. It took us out a good hour and a half to an isolated ranch where we hopped on some horses (not so gracefully), spent hours viewing the scenery and soaking up the sun, and then gorging on a parilla. It was the epitome of a perfect day. We were in great company with a fine leader who showed us the life of a desert gaucho (slightly different than the gaucho experience I had before. Potatoes seem to play a much larger role for those in Mendoza).

Inventing my own way to seal carne empanadas.
We deemed it an early night and spent the next day lounging and resting our more-than-busted butt bones. Kylie, Max and I stressfully planned a relaxing trip for our last day (just like the planning contradiction I learned from my time in 'Córdoba'). We spend the rest of the day relaxing in a beautious park where Maddie and her friend joined us to sip up some maté. We proceeded to her, um well, her special friend's house to learn the art of making empanadas.

Finally we relished the last day since we saved the best for then: A trip to thermal pools smack dab in the Andes. We were dropped off in a deserted area shaded by the massive mountains surrounding us. We walked 20 minutes down train tracks (not up a stairway) to eventually find heaven. It was a dream of boiling water, gorgeous weather, feeling warmth, eating well and unwinding after four long months. Oh, and I can't forget caking ourselves with mud, to help our pores of course. 


We may have looked like lava monsters, but boy did it feel good. I began to loosen the screws of my attachment to studying abroad sitting there in the bubbling water. However, I still felt numb so there was only so much reflection I could do.

I'm saving that for the as-of-now liberal summer I have. Although the shock may sneak up on me in the airport, on the plane, on my second plane... who knows. There's plenty an opportunity to realize the great and terrifying last four months I spent here in Argentina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment