A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Sunday, March 20, 2011

Lost and Found

I think I can officially say I've been adopted into a family now! No longer do I feel like an orphan of a study abroad student (although my red hair and freckles are appropriate for the part) in a freaking immense city.

[I normally would try and describe the size of the city I'm living in, but there is literally no way of doing so. The longer I live here, the more I realize BA never ends. It's Never(ending)land! What can you expect from a city that hosts 1/3 of its country's population?]

The Buenos Aires ultimate community has gladly accepted me with wide arms and discs in hand. And within the community I've become a 'Sapukeña!' Meaning I'm one of the 20 or so members of Sapukay, an ultimate team family. We train together, play together, celebrate and mourn losses together. We bicker on the field, we cheer for one another, and we always end the day on a warm note. Oh, and we eat damn well together. They're my unconventional, yet unconditional family. And I'm happy to report we have one win under our belt after this weekend! No better way to start out the league.

We look good together...
We fall apart on one another...
And we celebrate wins!

Homestay, Smomestay. I'll take 'la cancha' (the field) please!

[P.S.- How fantastic is it that the purple and gold match that of my background? Yep, meant to be.]

No comments:

Post a Comment