A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fĂștbol, and Argentine advertising


Thursday, March 3, 2011

From Argentina, With Love

Dearest Followers,

I have decided to write to you under the pretense of a stressful day, or I guess more just a stressful morning. I got to wait in line for the International Post Office of Argentina today for my third attempt to pick-up my long-awaited Valentine's gift. Yes, Valentine's day gift. As in, it was delivered in mid-February. The complication? Good question. Our director said it'd be best to send our packages to her office address to avoid just that. Mmmmm, not so much. Rather, the package is now in her name and with her address, but intended for me.

So after waiting for a good hour in the sweltering herd of mail-less residents and foreigners, my number flashed up on the board. I eagerly walked up only to be informed by the stern man in the booth that one form of my director's identification and her signature was not enough to obtain the package. Then I got the stamp of rejection, followed by a wave-off and a "Quien sigue?!"

I'm convinced the postal office is Argentina's second army, protecting foreign invasions on perceived state possessions. I can't decide whether I should accept defeat and be the system's prisoner or march onward. I will probably make a more strategic decision when I'm not as sleep-deprived, however that seems to be a constant trend here.

So, this long letter to say- think twice before sending a package to me or a loved one in Argentina. Actually, I'll cut out a level of thinking and just advise you not to send a package at all. Let the person know how much you love them two-dimensionally or with words. Don't leave it up to a postal soldier worker.

At least I can look forward to another gift in transit.. United is transporting the Ceej as I write. And while I'm making yet another effort to go to the airport and wait to pick him up, I refuse to let someone stand between me and my man.

Sincerely,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment