A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Moda de Argentina Part II: Style

So I've realized that in order to dissect Argentine fashion, I first need to try and generally define its characteristic traits. It's like human anatomy. Without describing the overall state of the body (age, gender, height, etc.), how will the juicy details (such as how damaged the hair is and placement of beauty marks) make sense? Okay, I realize that metaphor was a stretch, but you know the point I'm trying to make. So, here goes my attempt to roughly describe the style in Argentina before looking deeper at its parts that make up the whole.

Fashion Tip #2: Try hard to look like you're not trying at all.
[Disclaimer: this post may be generation-biased. Folks above the age of 30 certainly can indulge in Argentine style, however you may want to take caution with skirt lengths and the like.]
Hot shot
The situation: The temperatures are rising and so are the standards for fashion during the summer. Personally, I find it harder to be fashion-forward during these sweltering months because I can't rely on my trusty layering strategy. Instead, you have to make one or two pieces interesting with accessories, beauty techniques or simply standing alone. It's an art, I must say, because when you look hot (literally sweating and panting for some air conditioning), you look like you've tried too hard.
 The solution: Suck it up, wear what you want and face the climbing degrees. I've seen many a girl in skinny jeans or leggings this past month holding their heads high and strutting as if they were invincible to weather and fashion critics.
The compromise: I've seen many an airy dress and peasant top here, of which I've most definitely embraced. However, to make the outfit altogether more interesting, I suggest one rely on color, shape or pattern. No pattern is too crazy in Argentina and shapes can help you play with your natural bodily proportions (for instance, I like to dress myself tall with high-waisted shorts). Not to mention, bright colors compliment vacation-tanned skin on the women and men here. So go on, wear your tank-top and shorts (yes, shorts DO exist in Argentina. I don't know where that rumor stemmed from), just branch out and stay cool. After all, who wants to look like style doesn't come naturally?
Limeade may be my new favorite summer accessory.
property of: Scott Schuman

No comments:

Post a Comment