A gringa's attempt to assimilate herself into the culture of vino consumption, killer fútbol, and Argentine advertising


Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Moda de Argentina Part I: Zapatos (SHOES)

I'm sure all who know me pretty well have been secretly thinking, "Anna, you're a fashion freak goddess. Why the curious lack of fashion comments and style tips?" Well my fond followers, I'll tell you why.

I've been thoroughly investigating the fashion and lifestyle here for the past two and a half weeks to gain a good grasp of how an Argentine dresses. This investigation has included: keen observation (aka people watching, but not in a creepy way... okay, maybe), window-shopping in various fashion districts, and trying out some looks myself.

I shall shovel out the specifics of Argentine fashion (rather than feet of snow like the Midwest at the moment) in the form of a periodical mini-series. And what other sector of fashion shall I start with than  my obsession: SHOES.

Say hello to the newest addition to my shoe family-
Natacha gladiator sandals
They're strappy, suited for various occasions, and fit like a glove. These popular characteristics lead me to...

Fashion Tip #1: When in doubt, wear flats.
[I'm aware that this tip mostly applies to women. I would say I'm sorry for the gender exclusion, but guys got it good already with the expectations of flat shoes 24/7.]
Heel vs. Flat
The situation: I brought two pairs of heels to Argentina anticipating I may like to wear them to a bar or club. Want to know how much time I've spent in either pair? A total of 2 hours, and 1.45 of those hours were sedentary at a restaurant. Needless to say, there's copious amounts of walking here and shoes make a difference. Also, try dancing until 5 or 6 a.m. in 4.5 inch stilettos (this situation is hypothetically speaking, of course). Good luck.  
The solution: Wear flats. Not just any flats though. Go strappy and clingy, like a traditional tango dress.
The compromise: Wear wedges or half-heels. Both are in style here, probably due to the fact that porteños rightfully know the pains of blistered heels and sore arches. However, the greater cause of looking trendy cannot be risked.  

  

2 comments: